Friday, January 10, 2014

Cataract surgery

Today was my second day observing at the Hospital Universitario. And let me just get it off my chest how awesome it is before I go into further details!!!

I was so anxious Tuesday and Wednesday because Allen and I didn't get start the shadowing. So of course, by Thursday morning, I was BEYOND excited to be at the hospital. Waking up at 7 is an extreme stretch when I'm at school or home, but I sat on my butt for the previous two mornings, so yesterday (Thursday) morning, I was so ready to take a walk down to the hospital. I find it so awesome that the hospital that I'm going to is like down the street. Well, not literally, but it's a 15-20 minute walk from the Residencia, which doesn't even feel like that long because of the nice weather here.

So yesterday, I had the opportunity to shadow Dr. Tinguado (sp?) in the Ophthalmology department. He was so kind and friendly. And it's a good thing he spoke English pretty well because before the patient's visit, he would flip out the file and explained to me the patient's conditions and his thoughts. Then during the visit, he would let me look through the instrument and point out certain features of an eye disease or problem. And after every patient, he would ask if I had any questions. He explained to me glaucoma, cataract, high ocular pressure... And he was extremely patient when I asked him to repeat or elaborate on things (because let's be honest, I have never learned about the anatomy of the eye with such depth to know what glaucoma or cataract means...) It was just really amazing learning all the things directly from Dr. Tinguado instead of having to read about them in textbooks or something. This nice nurse also drew me a picture of the eyes and the optic nerves!

As we were preparing to finish for the day, Dr. Tinguado (I swear to you I am spelling his name wrong, but it is so difficult to hear what the names of these doctors, as some of the names are somewhat irregular from what I am used to!) showed me where I would be for today (Friday) since he said he won't be here today. He has a clinic somewhere else on the island, so he said I could go observe some surgical procedures on Friday. No need to ask me twice. I was more than excited to see surgery!

Today, I met Dr. Perero (sp? I am butchering all these names, aren't I?) who, by the way, is just as awesome! He explained to me the procedures that would take place today, and then took me to the place to get scrubs. Another doctor (who I couldn't make out her name either...) took me on and explained to me each step. She didn't speak English as well as Dr. Perero, but I can tell that she tried really hard to help me understand. Two major procedures were canceled today, so there was maybe half an hour or an hour of downtime, chilling with the doctors- I was fine with that because they are such friendly people and I didn't mind chatting with them.

The surgeries were... I can't even. I was literally gawking and bulging my eyes out the whole entire time I was watching the surgery. Speechless. I mean the precision, the patience, the training, the drama.... it was surreal. I mean maybe other people won't find it quite as amazing, but it was my first hospital experience, and it was just... perfect. I thought it reinforced one of the many reasons why I want to be a doctor because after surgery (I saw 4 surgeries today!), the doctor came out to talk to the patient... obviously I didn't understand what they discussed, but the patients were just so happy and the doctor was so happy and they shook hands and exchange kisses... and it was just so touching and great. Ahhh, I love the doctor-patient dynamic... The ones that I've seen so far anyway.

Afterward, Dr. Perero offered to drive me back to the Residencia, which I thought was the kindest gesture. Back in the states, you don't get this kind of interaction. I mean sometimes my professors offer to drive me to places, within their convenience, but those are like my advisers and close professors, you know, not someone I've just met for a day. He also said he would take me to the Gastroenterology department on Monday (because I am transferring there next week since Ophthalmology is only a temporary stop for me this week) to see that I will actually settle in with another department. Honestly, the consideration on his part was just above and beyond. I can't even grasp it.

Talk about above and beyond, our AP coordinator is pretty much there. Not sure if David signed up for this 24/7 job, but he sure does a good job at it. His Spanish lessons are so helpful. We would come with questions that are pretty much relevant to our daily conversations, and then David would help us with the common ways of saying it and correct our ways if it seems rude or wrong somehow. I haven't had the chance to put my Spanish-speaking skills (what little set of skills I do possess) because I've been with doctors who spoke English pretty well, but fear not, I've created a cheat-sheet that I will gladly pull out of my purse if I ever get stuck in random situations.

Anyway, I think there is another hike coming tomorrow (depending on the weather here), but if it's sunny and good, we might go to the highest mountain in Spain - Mount Teide! Better rest up for what (hopefully) will be a long day tomorrow.

Enjoy some random photos!


This is a coffeeshop in La Laguna. So many different kinds of coffee!
The other picture is of the "garden" inside a library in La Laguna, which used to be a hospital.

Bakery shop

PS. I am officially obsessed with pastries. I mean I've always loved sweets, but here, bakery shops are at every corner, so I've developed an even greater obsession for sweets.


No comments:

Post a Comment