Saturday, January 25, 2014

Te Quiero..

In a couple of hours, I'll be on the plane leaving Tenerife...
It's hard to believe that my time here is actually over... Three weeks seem so short, but within this short period of time, so many things happened...
I became friends with all these wonderful people around me... I learned their culture... I fell in love with this place.
Pedro, whom I've only met recently for the video and interview

Gara, a kind and cheerful friend from the hospital's cafeteria with the most sincere smile...

The doctors and nurses in gastro. Especially Dr. Romero whom I've mentioned often in my blog and his nurse, Ana. 
And of course, David and the fellows...

It's my last day here, so I took a stroll around the Residencia and stopped for lunch. I munched on my last tortilla espanola and sipped on my last barraquito, spending the last few euros I had left. For once, I had no appetite. Today looks and feels gloomy. I feel gloomy. The fellows are gone.. and pretty soon, I'll be gone too. 

I hate goodbyes. Especially to people I've grown to like and love. These past couple days have been pretty sad. Thursday night, we had our last dinner as a group. We chatted and watched The Lion King on my tiny little bed. And that same night, I said my goodbyes to Alyia and Allen, as they leave Friday morning. Even Allen, whom I've grown to hate and love because of his annoying personality, I miss. I guess it's because we teach Base5 and go to the hospital together that I feel closer to Allen than Alyia and Bess. But I grew to love all of them over this short journey. I overheard Alyia - my bathroom-mate - from outside my door as they were leaving the dorm Friday morning, "Should we knock on Julia's door?" intending to say goodbye one last time. I probably should have gone out to say bye, but I know myself enough not to because I would have cried, knowing that I'll never see either of them again.. Bess left this morning, so we at least had last night to bond one last time over pastries that David brought us. 

Friday was just as sad because I had to say goodbye to those amazing people at the hospital. The doctors and nurses were sad to see me leave so soon. Dr. Romero said the endoscopy unit will always welcome me back. He said, "This is your home," and you can't imagine how that touched my heart.. They're practically like family to me. I've gotten way too comfortable here in Tenerife that it actually feels like home.. and people don't really want to leave home.. do they..?

That's what happens when you become too attached to people. When you fall too in love with a certain place. Certain people. They become a part of who you are. It becomes difficult to leave and move on. How bittersweet.

But thanks for the terrific ride, Atlantis Project. Thank you for the experience, the knowledge, the love, and the wonderful memories, Tenerife. I hope to see you once again...

No comments:

Post a Comment